For me, translation is a little like tackling a particularly difficult cryptic crossword where there are many possible solutions to each clue: it’s challenging, but very satisfying when you find the meaning that fits the context.
Ultimately, translation is about communication. Having excellent skills in a foreign language and knowledge about the country in question and its culture isn’t enough to guarantee a successful translation. For that, you need a translator who can also communicate the meaning and style of the original in well-written, natural-sounding English.
My qualifications and experience allow me to offer advanced skills in German and the highest quality written English. Because I want to provide you with the best service possible, I am always working on improving my skills and knowledge by attending courses, workshops or webinars and keeping up to date with developments in translation and my subject areas.
- a first class BA Honours degree in German and French from the University of Leicester
- a doctorate in German Literature from the University of Oxford
- a post-graduate diploma in Translation Studies with distinction from the University of Auckland
- full membership of the New Zealand Society of Translators and Interpreters (NZSTI)
- affiliate membership of the Institute of Translating and Interpreting (ITI) in the UK.
As a member of the NZSTI and the ITI, I adhere to the high standards of conduct, practice and competence set out in the organisations’ respective Codes of Professional Conduct.
- ongoing experience of working with direct clients and agencies in New Zealand and Europe to provide translation and transcription services
- excellent feedback from satisfied clients
- worked as a tutor at the University of Auckland, teaching German language and German translation courses
- worked as a proofreader for one of the UK’s largest technical and patent translation companies
- 10 years’ experience at the UK Department of Health, writing ministerial speeches, briefings and departmental reports
- had my doctoral thesis published in book form and written other academic articles for publication.